One-Pot, Cheesy Fajita Pasta
Comforting pasta, hearty red beans and a cheesy sauce - perfect for tonight's dinner.
1. Preheat a large pot over medium high heat and spray with non-stick spray. Add the onion, pepper and mushroom; cook about five minutes or until softened; add garlic, cook an additional minute. Stir in 1/2 pkg fajita mix and kidney beans; stir well until combined; taste and add additional seasoning as needed, up to 1 packet.
2. Add strained tomato, water and pasta. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer about 7 minutes, taste sauce again and adjust seasoning as necessary.
3. Add cheese and cover with lid ajar; cook an additional 7 minutes or until pasta is al dente.
Tip: Cooking your own beans from the bulk section will save tons of money!
Slow Cooker Method: To prepare simply rinse the beans well and place in a large bowl. Cover with plenty of water – the beans will soak in quite a bit. Let sit overnight.
Drain and place beans in slow cooker; cover beans with water or broth; cook on low for six hours. Let cool; spoon into freezer safe baggies – about 2 cups at a time and freeze flat until ready to use.
Classic fajita veggies, carrots, peppers and mushrooms were used in this dish, but it would be delicious with any veggie you have on hand.
Makes about 8 1-cup servings
(Vegan, Gluten Free)
Recipe & Image Courtesy of Florida Coastal Cooking
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pkg fajita seasoning mix, (Simply Organic)
- 2 cups cooked dark red kidney beans
- 24 oz strained tomatoes, (Bionaturae)
- 2 cups water
- 3 cups dry gluten free pasta, (Tinkyada)
- 1 cup vegan shredded cheese, (Daiya or any shredded cheese you prefer)